Sunday, July 26, 2015

July 20th: Traveling for Elder Nelson's Patriarchal Blessing, Seeking Shelter at 3am, and

July 20th:
Getting my Patriarchal Blessing went really well. Super crazy travel day. So we woke pretty early and then we left running to Sanduba (basically a Subway) to buy sandwiches, but in half an hour we had to be at the terminal. We decided we didn't have time, so we called a taxi and arrived to the terminal with plenty of time and got on without problems. Crossing the border was a little more complicated. Everyone on the bus had to leave to show their passport, and after that had to show our bags. We arrived at Fray Bentos, but they didn't have a bus that went to Dolores until 8 at night. We decided to go to Mercedes, in hopes that that had more buses to Dolores because it was closer. I think we boarded the exact same bus we took to get there, and potentially could have stayed on, but that would have been dishonest. I paid for the other Elders because they didn't have pesos Uruguayos. Luckily, there were others buses to Dolores. We took a bus that left at 4ish and arrived a little bit before 5 in Dolores. However, before that, we had time to chill in the terminal so the other elders bought food to break their fast (well only elder Hartvigsen was fasting) and we bumped into two other elders in Tata (market). Elder Goddard y Elder Nelson, both like 6 and a half feet. They offered us a place to crash for the night, but we didn't end up taking it but I'll get to that later. 


So when we arrived in Dolores, the patriarch was waiting for us and walked us to the capilla. It took about an hour. He showed us the church, interviewed me personally, and then we got to the blessing part. He asked the other Elders if they brought their blessing, but neither of them did. The blessing was pretty good. Pretty spiritual and I understood all of the blessing. I definitely need to read it to remember everything. 

I was supposed to get the copy this Sunday, but I might get it next Sunday.  Presidente Silva has it, but I don't really know who that is. The patriarch then took us to his house for hot chocolate. Super nice gesture, but I was starving because I was fasting for like 26 hours or something, and hot chocolate did not satisfy me. Luckily 10 minutes before the bus left for Mercedes again, we found a food truck and I bought a choripan. It was super messy in the bus, but luckily I didn't spill anything on my suit. 

This is where things get complicated. There wasn't a bus to Paysandu until 1 in the morning. So we ended up chilling in the terminal until 1. I finished reading San Juan, and Elder Thompson wrote like 10 cards to familia and people in his old areas. We all slept in the bus. We arrived at 3am in Paysandu, but the terminal there is like an awning more than an actual building and it was super cold. We decided to go to the elders house there, hoping they would answer. We rang all the doorbells(there were like 4 different ones) and eventually an Elder answered. The 3 of us slept on 2 mattresses horizontally, with only a handful of blankets, but we were super grateful because the terminal would have been pretty horrible that night.  At 5am in the morning, 4 more elders showed up, but those poor guys had to sleep on the floor. One guy used a padded chair as a pillow. 


The meeting with Presidente was pretty good. He told us that we are his purpose that he wants each of us to have an undeniable testimony and that we can get sealed with our future wives. Those were the key points I remember. I shared John 15:15 with all the missionaries. Basically explains about obediencia y amor. We did recieve Elder Sosa Martes, and it was another half day of traveling. We left at 4, but didn't get home until 9:30pm

The foursome is good. We all get along super well. Elder Hartvigsen was actually comps with Elder Sosa right before he left for the offices. 

It isn't super cold, but yeah some days are pretty cold but this last Sunday it was actually kinda hot. Like you could have sweated a little bit. I'm ready for the heat again. Tell Josh good luck with the goats. Hopefully I answered all your questions. I love you both and pray for you guys. 

No comments:

Post a Comment