Saturday, March 28, 2015

Week 10: Getting Kicked Out of Homes and Buffets, and Using the "B-Day Butt Squirt Gun" (Bidet) ...

Elder Nelson to Mom and Dad:

Elder Nelson, Elder Finlay and the Smiths
I'm emailing from a "cyber." It's basically just a large room with a bunch of computers that you pay to use. Yes, I've gotten mail from the Bolsa. The Bolsa is basically a big black thick purse that mail comes in. The office has secretaries that I assume filter all the mail that comes to Montevideo, and from there they send the mail to the respective zones. I've gotten mail from two High Council members, Jamie Hansen, and the Jenesses. Tell Al and Ethel Jenness that their card was super sweet. And that it was pretty grandma-ish. (Al thought the card was girly). Let them know I would write them back, but I don't have stamps, but it was cool that they wished me happy birthday. 

Note: you can write to Elder Nelson at the following address He is thrilled to get mail and has a birthday coming up April 18th: 

La Mision Uruguay Montevideo Oeste
Enrique Martinez 1167

Montevideo, Uruguay C.P. 11.800
I liked the CCM, because we got 3 square meals a day. We're lucky if we have members make us lunch, but even then it is rarely ever enough to fill us and then by nighttime I'm already hungry again; but I'm doing fine food wise. 

Montevideo West Missionaries
For the most part people are pretty nice. We finally got kicked out of someones house, though. We went to visit this lady who was a menos activo (less active member) and this was the first time we talked with her and presumably the last. I guess she is evangelico now and she was pretty misguided about the Church. She thought we prayed to Joseph Smith and not God. Elder Finlay asked her where she heard that 5 times and she didn't have an answer.  Then she said "I know you do because I'm a member of the Church." After that, she signaled to the gate. However, I guess that was Finlay's first time getting told to leave someone's house. 

Original Comps Leave the CCM to Uruguary & Argentina
Oh this week, we went to a house of a young couple who we taught a short lesson to. This time we walked up and we hadn't seen them in like two weeks. Anyways, they saw us and ran inside and didn't come out to talk to us. We talked to like a 10 year old kid who was playing the role of messenger boy. It was pretty lame that they couldn't even come out to say why they didn't want to met with us anymore. 

What!!! That's so rad that Tadhg already got his call! Will he speak English? When does he leave? That's so freaking rad. I'm so pumped for him. 

New Missionaries "Oros" at the Montevideo Airport
Ok I'll try to get (a picture for his missionary plaque) of just me and if I don't have one, I'll just have one of the dudes in my house take one. My companionship is going alright. We actually might get split up in these upcoming weeks. Normally you are with your trainer for 6 weeks, but I might switch trainers mid-way. Our mission is getting downsized in terms of people. I guess we have 250 people in our mission, but we will only have 200 after these next 2 changes. Y tambien, all the zone leaders are dying, (going home at the end of their term of service) so what might happen is Finlay becomes a zone leader in Artigas, and I go somewhere else. I wouldn't complain. I like Finlay, but at the same time he doesn't help me a ton with my Spanish. For the most part, we just both opt to speak in English in the streets because it is easier. I wish I knew better Spanish so I could help the people more. Anyways, I'm fine and we will see what improves or changes in the upcoming weeks. 

Meeting President and Sister Smith
The coolest part is that I've touched multiple wild horses here in Artigas The lamest is how boring Artigas is, or at least our area. We don't have any shops. It is all campo. Then for P-days there aren't any cool sights to see or cool stuff to do. We just chill in the stake center and eat at buffets. Oh, the buffet last week was Bolasso. We got ripped off. It is supposed to be a buffet and there is a dude that brings around slices of meat that you pay extra for. So we paid for everything, but the dude didn't visit us often with the meat compared to last time. Well, it turns out the manager told the dude not to come to us, because we eat too much, and I guess we are only supposed to taken one dessert. I had no idea what he was saying, because he was just yelling in Portuguese. So basically he destroyed the whole purpose of a buffet and when we went to pay he told the cash-register lady to charge us extra. So we paid like 260 pesos compared to 190 last time. So we went home with empty stomachs and empty wallets and vowed never to eat there again so we have no clue where or what we are having for lunch today. 
Oros arrive at the Montevideo Temple to meet trainers

Pretty sure that's the right thing to do for birthday cards or any mail. That's cool that Sam leaves for the MTC. That will be an awesome experience for him. Can't wait for all us mountain boys to be out in the field. Our house is really nice, and we have basically everything a normal house would have. I was given a nice pillow as well as a blanket so I didn't have to pay for any of that. I have some pictures of our house that I will try to send. I have to use a B-day (the squirt gun for your butt) which I don't enjoy, but it is all we got because everyone refuses to buy toilet paper I guess. Everything works fine with charging and the adapter. The plugs here are the two prong european ones though. Anyways, I'm going to try to upload a few more pictures. I love you all and will talk to you next week,.

Elder Nelson to Nana and Pop:

The line of new Oros in Montevideo West Mission
Meeting their trainers
Hey grandparents! Glad to hear from you guys. My week was más o menos (so so in spanish). The other 3 elders in our house all got sick, but thanks to my stellar immune system, drinking lots of water, and sucking on cough drops every day, I escaped relatively unharmed which was a nice blessing. 

That's a bummer to hear about Grandma Bledsoe, I'll definitely pray for her. The weather here has been beautiful the past couple days. It's not super hot and there's a nice wind. Don't know how long it will last, but I'll enjoy it while it is here. We had another tropical storm. We were in the house of a member who does our laundry once a week, just talking with him and we looked outside and saw nothing but dark gray clouds heading our way. We left right then, but still got caught in the rain. Luckily, I had my umbrella so my clothes and I stayed relatively dry. My companion was not as wise as I was, but I offered to hold his laundry so his clothes wouldn't get soaked. We were on the main road back to our house when it really started coming down hard. Luckily we were passing a neighborhood of new houses and one of the people yelled at us to come inside. We obviously didn't object, and found out the wife was actually a member but the rest of her family wasn't. We taught them the restoration lesson and encouraged them to come to church. Both of their families all live in that same area, so if we got this one family active, we could potentially get 3 other families with it. It is interesting how the Lord works. We pass by that house multiple times a day, and never attempted to talk to them until they invited us in during the storm. That was probably the coolest missionary experience I had this week. What's crazy is right after that storm, it went back to being blazing hot, so Uruguay just does not feel like making up it's mind with the weather. 

Anyways thanks for all the animal pictures. I got some pretty good laughs out of them. I love you both, I'll pray for Grandma Bledsoe, and I hope you guys have a great week.
The New Oros and their Trainers, February 2015 








No comments:

Post a Comment