Saturday, February 14, 2015

Week 4: When your companion beats you in one on one, Meeting daily goals, and Saving the souls of pot-smoking robbers...


(Editorial Note: I consolidated Elder Nelson's emails to both Mom and Dad into a single blog entry this week:)

The Countdown Chart Gets Underway...
Doing just fine.  I can buy (additional) journals at the Distribution center and that's nice to know about the Drop Box (for sharing pictures on the web). What pictures did you get? Chandler wrote me, which was cool hearing from him. That's good the girls are feeling better. Yeah, soccer can be a pretty un-fun sport if your team never wins. I'm surprised the season is over so quick. It seemed like it barely started.  Glad to know I'm not forgotten, and that Abby is turning into a little daredevil. 

Miss everyone at home, but I'm excited to be leaving the CCM in two weeks.  Our last group of latino Elders left on Tuesday and like 15 arrived last night. It's cool that we got to meet 3 different groups of Elders and sisters rather than just show up and leave after 12 days.  (Native Spanish speakers report for 12 days of training as opposed to second-language learners who train for 6 weeks.)  41 days in the CCM seems like forever, but the days go by really fast. 

The first part of the day is slow but easy. Wake up at 6:30 and Elder Tidball and I take out the trash. 7:00 is desayuno. At 8:00 we have personal study. 9:00 is companion study/teach an investigator (one of our two teachers). After that, we will generally have 1 or 2 more classes before almuerzo.  We resume class at 12:30 with more classes. On the 9th, we had Advisor study for a half hour and then at 1:00 we had additional practice/CRE for an hour and a half. CRE is a deal where you're given an investigator and you have a small paragraph of information on them - they could be less active or not believe in God- and then you have to go teach them a lesson. I like CRE, because it is just a one-time teaching session, whereas when we teach our teachers, that's every other day, and I feel like we run out of stuff to talk about. 

Tidball and I get along great. He beat me in 1 on 1 basketball yesterday, which I wasn't pleased about but I beat him the time previously, so I guess we're even. Physical activity starts at 2:15, and we don't go back to class until 4:00. At 4:00, we start TALL which is the online language learning system that didn't work for me the whole first week. At 5:00 is language study/another investigator. 

We have two teachers: Hermana Pavia, and Hermana Camacho. Hermana Pavia's character is Cecilla, and we teach her in the morning, every other day. Hermana Camacho's character is Victoria, and we teach her in the night, every other day. 

At 6:00pm starts Cena, and at 7:00 class resumes. It will generally be like 2 half hour classes and 1 one hour class. For example, on the 9th of Feb. I had advisor study for half an hour.  7:30 to 8:30 was grammar, and 8:30 to 9 was Book of Mormon.  From 9:00 to 9:30 is planning for the next day with your companion. From 9:30-10:30, you're either writing in your journal or doing whatever you need to do before bed. Room prayer with everyone on their knees and after that lights off at 10:30pm.  Wake up: Rinse, Wash and Repeat...  

Tell Destiny I say hi back. I guess I'll just relay all of Saturday's happenings: We started off at the bishop's house again, and were there for like almost 2 hours, which only left us with 3 hours to meet our goals which were: 30 contacts, 5 references, 10 lessons, and 2 invitations to baptism. After bishop's house, we found the house of the first person we taught last week. Her name is Griselda, and she is super nice. We met her and her sister last week outside a store. She was so happy when we gave her a Book of Mormon and she was happy when we came this week. She's like 70 something years old, but just the nicest old lady. 

Oh yeah, nobody has a door you can walk up to here, so you stand outside the gate and clap. We thought it wouldn't work, but it totally did and we taught her a lesson about El evangelio de Jesucristo. She was super receptive. When we prayed, it was super funny because she said every word as Tidball said it. 

After that we saw a lady on the sidewalk painting her fence. Her name was Cristina and we were able to give her a Book of Mormon. Next, we saw this group of 5 guys on the side of the road with no shirts on. We were talking to them a little about sports teams, since one of them had on an Oakland A's cap. Eventually, one of them pulled out a joint and started smoking. At this point Tidball thought we should go, but I pulled out a Word of Wisdom pamphlet and explained why we don't participate in that stuff. I think they also took my Plan of Salvation pamphlet, which is fine since we get new ones every week. 

We left those guys shortly after that and just walked across the street and starting talking to this lady who told us those guys were robbers and bad people. Griselda always warned us about robbers last week, but I have yet to feel like I was going to get robbed. The most valuable thing I have in my wallet is probably my temple recommend. I leave all my other cash and cards in my locker for proselyting. Anyways, we were talking to this lady and I saw one of the dudes from the group walk into this house holding the pamphlet. I think he seemed slightly different from all the other dudes, and eventually there might come a time in his life when he joins the gospel which would be cool. 

We talked to this lady and found out her family are members, but she isn't. Her daughter walked out with her son and she said she was a member and another guy walked out who worked at the agency, so before we knew it there were like 5 people listening to us talk. I invited the lady to re-read the Book of Mormon and if it was true, if she would be baptized, and she said yes. 

After that, we met up with the other missionaries who had zero success that day until we showed up. At 4 we were supposed to teach Elva that we meet last week right before the bus showed up. She wasn't there, but we decided to go grab ice cream from the other missionaries area because ours was mainly houses and not many stores. 

Within 5 minutes we met Fernando. Talked to him about the Book of Mormon, invited him to read about it, pray about it, and then be baptized and he would. We then got ice cream. We got a pint of ice cream for 1 US dollar and it was so good. The lady also gave us a free ice cream chocolate bar since the other missionaries went there so often. Then we headed back. 

Found a lady drinking matte on the side of the street. Gave her a Book of Mormon and prayed with her. Then we met another guy working on his truck in the yard. Talked to him, found out he used to believe in God, but is now an athetist. He accepted the Book of Mormon, but didn't want us to pray, so we went back to the starting point. 

Elva was there, and we taught her about the gospel of Jesus Christ as well. Prayed with her, and made the bus wait for us. We got 32 contacts, 10 lessons taught, and 2 baptismal invitations. So we met our goal. 

Would write more but we are out of time so hopefully you enjoyed this longer email. I love you and will try to do more pictures today, but I can only send 1 or 2 at a time due to the size restrictions. I miss my old school email where I could send 25 GB at once not a measly 15 MB... Anyway, love you and will try to send more pictures out.



No comments:

Post a Comment